Thursday, January 10, 2008

Revive Concert - How it came to be (PART1)

PART 1 – In the beginning…

So where did the idea spring up from you ask? Where on earth did KJ come to conceive such a gigantic plan? Where on earth did KJ get the drive and the sudden urge to do something that has never been done before in CBC history?

Well, I’d love to point the finger at the Boss up there in heaven and say it was all his idea. It actually is, but how he came to let me know the idea wasn’t that simple at all.

Where should I start? Well, it starts, if you can believe it, from the day that I heard about the Taylor’s University College (my brother refuses to call it a University) building landing right smack in front of our church. I don’t even remember when that was or who told it to me or how I found out about it if no one told me. I can’t even remember storing the information in my head. Normally information that doesn’t seem important at that immediate time gets thrown into my recycle bin in my brain. But this one stuck there for some reason and I can only blame God for that. He’s let that thought brew in my head for as long as it has and the concert is first and foremost a result of that singular thought.

The next phase of God’s great instruction to do the concert really drove home on the night of this year’s church camp. It was the second night I think. And there was just something amazing that happened during that night. I remember having to move a large stone and placing it at the foot of a cross to signify leaving my burdens at the foot of the cross. Which I did and that’s when God decided to really pull a big one on me. The way I see it, the less God strikes your mind, the harder it hits when it does. I’ve been idling quite a bit in early Christian life and I guess now is the time the Boss really wants me to do something. So He gave me quite a bash on the head that day. At that time, I had not yet truly known if I would be leaving for the U.S next year. That was the original plan (which I think didn’t go well with my heavenly Boss. Not what he wanted I suppose) and I thought I had a couple of months left in 2007 in Malaysia. I was already thinking ahead of the many things I’d do for him WHEN I got there. I was thinking of the 1001 ways I could serve him in the States. I was looking into Churches in Boston, about to contact a friend of mine to get some info out of him (anyone know Ps Rodney Duncan?). I was all prepared for the great things He was going to do for me and through me WHEN I went overseas. But that didn’t happen. But firstly he drilled home a very big point. It went something like this –

“KJ, you’ve got 5 months here to go. And do you think I’m not going to do anything with you these 5 months? (Which turned out to be longer than that because my plan to leave has been postponed. But that’s a story for another day)”

So it really hit me. Sure I was prepared to leave, but that didn’t mean I could take a break just yet. I wasn’t on a 5 month spiritual holiday break and could just wait for time to pass until I was in another country. God told me very plainly and it’s one of the clearest things I’ve ever heard from him – You’re still here, so you STILL SERVE!

And that was it. I decided one thing which would then grow into a larger and larger decision – I was going to serve in the church up until the day He would let me leave. And that was Genesis really. That was the beginning of the great plan. I think.



Stay tuned for part 2.

No comments: